Response to Lion of the Blogosphere on Abortion

Lion of Blogosphere shares this comment on abortion: in his latest post:

No one that I personally know has ever gotten an abortion.

My main objection to pro-lifers is that they create a burden on taxpayers. This is my main reason for supporting abortion. My family pays way too much in taxes as it is. It’s unfair to my mother, who has worked so hard to create wealth, and to support myself and my chronically ill father, to have to pay for the Section 8 and food stamps for low IQ people’s children.


As for myself personally, I don’t have any reason to ever get an abortion. I’m getting married soon to the only partner I have ever had, whom I started dating in high school. I just want other women to get abortions, because i don’t want my future kids to have to share a classroom with low IQ violent bastard kids.


LOTB seems to approve of this quote and agree with its underlying logic.... but is it accurate? Does abortion have a eugenic effect?

Personally, I don't really care about abortion. I think it oughta be legal. And I think on net, there probably is a minor eugenic effect. But there are two possible effects that could lead to a dysgenic effect, one that I don't think really rings true and another that might:

1.) Legal (and therefore cheaper and safer) abortion might increase the frequency of unintended pregnancy. Economists always talk about things in terms of risk calculus and legal abortion does, by definition, reduce the risk that an unintended pregnancy causes and therefore would likely, on some level, lead to people taking fewer precautions. If this were the case, then the eugenic effect of having more unwanted children born would partially be offset by the dysgenic effect of more unwanted pregnancies to begin with. This one isn't very convincing to me. To the extent people are rational actors, it certainly doesn't apply much to sex. Especially not to "low IQ" people. Indeed, the only group that would likely be less careful due to legal abortion would probably be more well educated people. So, I don't think there's much to this argument

2.) The true underclass isn't even responsible enough to get abortions. This argument is a bit more convincing to me. I remember reading somewhere (I forget where) something to the effect of "the upper middle class uses birth control, the working class uses abortion, and the underclass uses the maternity ward". The biggest hold on abortions possible eugenic effect is that the true underclass isn't even responsible enough to get out to get the procedure.


I am fairly convinced that abortion doesn't have much of an overall eugenic effect mostly because the true underclass doesn't really use the abortion clinic that often. But I'd be interested to see evidence to the contrary.

Comments

  1. Apple Watch Stainless Steel vs Titanium - TiNanium
    Apple Watch Stainless Steel has the same stainless steel qualities, but it comes with head titanium ti s6 a more polished stainless core, giving titanium quartz meaning you more stainless steel vs titanium apple watch control can titanium rings be resized of titanium ingot the

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vox: Trump Administration Not Doing Enough to Help Giant, Global Tech Companies Underpay Workers

Female Privilege and Suffrage

Incels