Workplace Fatalities and Male Expendibility

I just learned that there was an astonishing 7.3% increase in US workplace fatalities from 2015-2016. Granted, there was some media coverage of it that I found by googling it and looking down, but I was a fairly avid follower of trends and what not at the time and I don't recall seeing anything about this at the time. I mean, it seems to me that nobody who wasn't looking for data on workplace fatalities would even be aware of the rather substantial spike from 2015-2016. Why?

Well, I'd venture that it is somewhat related to the fact that 92% of the workplace fatalities in 2016 were males. If, this were an issue that impacted primarily women, I don't think I'm going too far in saying there would be a lot more outrage and coverage of it. Indeed, I imagine that Facebook feeds around the country would be inundated with content centering on this topic. But this differential treatment isn't all that surprising. Men, after all, are more biologically expendable in that, in terms of sheer numbers, fewer men are needing to propagate the species and therefore society seems to notice and care less when males die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vox: Trump Administration Not Doing Enough to Help Giant, Global Tech Companies Underpay Workers

Female Privilege and Suffrage

Incels